Thursday 18 September 2014

Manchester Dogs Home

Manchester Dogs Home has been a safe haven and rescue for abandoned and mistreated dogs for over 100 year. Funded purely down charitable donations, Since its doors opened in 1893 the site has 'provided shelter and Veterinary Care and have re-homed over 1 million dogs.' Let's be honest, that is an incredible achievement for an organisation which receives zero governmental funding. The charity has two home site, the Manchester one, and one a few miles down the road in Cheshire.I have visited the Manchester site on several occasions, however, the amounts of times can probably be counted on two hands. This is mainly the result of having parents who would not allow me to have a dog, despite my constant requests, and partly because I would want to take them all home. Which, unfortunately I cannot.

I am a dog person. I always have been, despite not having one until the tender age of 23. I will never forget the day i got my dog. It was love at first sight. He wasn't a rescue, he was a puppy. That first night was so special. He slept so quietly, probably terrified. in recent months, we have been looking to get him a friend. Puppies are lovely, but there are so many dogs in need that we had planned to get a rescue dog. So Naturally, when the news broke about the Manchester Dogs Home being subject to an arson attack, it hit home. The fire broke out and spread along the corridor where so many visitors have walked down. This corridor had been nicknamed 'Adoption Row' as it is where the majority of dogs waiting to be rehomed live.

Adoption Row after the fire
Up to 60 dogs died in the fire, or in the aftermath. Dogs that were in a safe haven. Dogs that were waiting for a better life. My heart breaks at the thought.  I wont speculate about the arsonist, that's not for me to say. I will say however, I hope they get what they deserve, and not a slap on the wrist. The lucky dogs were transported to the sister site in Cheshire and various local shelters.

A fireman and a saved dog

People queuing to give their support
In the wake of this disaster, people across the country wanted to do something to help. Naturally donations are needed. The Manchester Evening News set up a donation page, which within 24 hours, raised over £1,000,000. Various other donations pages were set up and celebrities alike joined the cause donating large amounts of money, not to mention the money raised through the official page, which doesn't publicise its total.  A social media trend went around, which involved users taking a selfie with their pooch and donating, in an attempt to raise awareness and money for the cause. Food, blankets and toys were donated on the night, and have been continued to be donated. An amazon gift list has been published by the Home, in order for those further away to donate items and supplies, instead of money.

During the blaze, two heroes stood out. Two local men ran into the burning building, kicked in the doors, and helped bring 20(ish) dogs to safety. they risked their own lived to help the dogs. these are the kind of people that we need more of in the world.

I am still saddened when I think about that night. When the dogs have been resettled, I will go back to visit, Hopefully I will be able to give one of them a forever home.

I am writing this really, as a memorial and a thank-you. A thank you to everyone who helped in any way. I donated on the night, and I took my selfie. I can only hope that the person/people responsable get brought to justice, and I hope that those unlucky doggies are happily playing up at the Rainbow Bridge

Me and Freddie doing our selfie




No comments:

Post a Comment